Guidelines for Sponsors
Godparents and Confirmation Sponsors
Any parishioner of St. Theresa who wishes to act as a Godparent for the Sacrament of Baptism or as a Sponsor for the Sacrament of Confirmation must contact the Parish Office to arrange a brief appointment with the Pastor. One must be registered with St. Theresa for at least 3 months.
Who may act as a sponsor?
A baptismal sponsor may act through a proxy. Proof that the sponsor is qualified and willing to accept the office and obligation and that he/she has chosen or agreed to the proxy shall be established by competent witnesses or documents. The proxy must have the same qualifications as the sponsor & be the same gender as the sponsor. The names of both will be recorded.
Only one male or one female sponsor, or one of each sex may be a sponsor. Two males or two females are NOT permitted. Canon 873
A grandparent is eligible provided the parameters for being a sponsor are met;
Parents or step parents may NOT be a sponsor;
Siblings or family friends are eligible provided they provided they meet the requirements.
To act as a Sponsor a Catholic must meet the requirements below.
- Be at least 16 years of age, unless the Pastor judges otherwise for a just cause
- Be mature enough to undertake this responsibility
- Have received all three sacraments of initiation (Baptism, Holy Communion, and Confirmation)
- If Married, married according to Catholic teaching
- Regularly attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation
Download a copy of our Confirmation Sponsor Certificate